about the artist
Jim Murrin is a painter and Ohio native. Always interested in art, he studied photography, drawing and design in college, but pursued a career in dentistry. He served as a dentist in the US Air Force, founded and operated a private endodontic practice, and for many years donated his clinical expertise at the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium providing root canal treatment for gorillas, bears, and tigers. He circled back to art, enrolled at the Columbus College of Art & Design to study painting, and gradually transitioned away from dental practice. Equally drawn to the urban and rural landscape his paintings feature structure rendered with bold color and contrast of light and shadow. His work has been exhibited at the Century Association in New York City, ConnectArt in Cuba, and in museums and galleries across Ohio including the Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, OSU Urban Art Space, OSU Faculty Club, and the Georgian Museum, and Sharon Weiss Gallery. His paintings are held in private and public collections across the country. He received the The Community Arts Partnership Award from the Greater Columbus Arts Council in 2016. Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in Columbus, Ohio.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, Columbus,OH, July, 2021
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, New York City, November, 2021
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, four cities in Cuba, 2022
select past exhibitions
- 2021, Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, Greater Columbus Arts Council, 2016.