about the artist
Jim Murrin studied photography, design and dentistry before painting. He received DDS and MS degrees with honors from the Ohio State University, served as a dental officer in the USAF, founded a private endodontic practice in central Ohio and for a decade donated endodontic expertise at the Columbus Zoo where his patients were gorillas, bears, and tigers. Painting was initially a sidebar to a demanding dental practice but over time Murrin enrolled at Columbus College of Art & Design and transitioned from dental office to studio. He has exhibited in museums and galleries across Ohio including Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, The Georgian Museum, OSU Urban Arts Space, OSU Faculty Club, Sharon Weiss Gallery, and others. He has exhibited at the Century Association in New York City and with Cuban and central Ohio artists in ConnectArt in Matanzas, Cuba, NYC, and Columbus, Ohio. His paintings are found in private collections across the country as well as in the permanent collections of the Hilton Columbus Downtown Tower, Greater Columbus Convention Center, and the Contemporary Arts Center in Matanzas, Cuba. He is recipient of awards from the Greater Columbus Arts Council (2016) and Bryn Du Arts Commission (2022). Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in the Columbus Short North Arts District.
“Painting for me is meditation, an effort to understand myself and my world. I see painting as a method of getting closer and closer to the essence”.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
select past exhibitions
- 2022, 18th Annual Bryn Du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2021, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2021, 17th Annual Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery Columbus,OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- Excellence Award, 2022, Bryn Du Arts Commission, Granville, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, 2016, Greater Columbus Arts Council.