about the artist
Jim Murrin has lived and worked in Ohio for much of his life. He studied photography and design in college then pursued a career in dentistry. He received DDS and MS degrees from the Ohio State University, served as a dental officer in the USAF, founded a private endodontic practice in central Ohio and worked as a volunteer endodontist for the Columbus Zoo where his patients were gorillas, bears, and tigers. He started painting on his own and later enrolled at Columbus College of Art & Design where he studied painting and drawing. Murrin has exhibited in museums and galleries across Ohio including Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, OSU Urban Arts Space, OSU Faculty Club, Sharon Weiss Gallery, and others. He has exhibited at the Century Association in New York City and with Cuban and central Ohio artists in ConnectArt in Matanzas, Cuba, NYC, and Columbus, Ohio. His paintings are found in the permanent collections of the Greater Columbus Convention Center, the Hilton Columbus Downtown Tower, the Contemporary Arts Center in Matanzas, Cuba, and in private collections across the United States. He is recipient of awards from the Greater Columbus Arts Council (2016) and Bryn Du Arts Commission (2022). Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in the Columbus Short North Arts District.
“Painting for me is meditation, an effort to understand myself and my world. I see painting as a method of getting closer and closer to the essence”.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
- Columbus Museum of Art, Letters from Cuba/Letters from Ohio, August 4-29, 2022
- Sharon Weiss Gallery, Salon Exhibit, August 1-30, 2022
select past exhibitions
- 2022, 18th Annual Bryn Du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2021, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2021, 17th Annual Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery Columbus,OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- Excellence Award, 2022, Bryn Du Arts Commission, Granville, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, 2016, Greater Columbus Arts Council.