about the artist
Jim Murrin is a painter who studied photography, drawing and design in college before pursuing a career in dentistry. He earned DDS and MS degrees from The Ohio State University, served as a dental officer in the USAF and later founded a private endodontic practice in central Ohio. He volunteered at the Columbus Zoo providing root canal treatment for gorillas, bears, and tigers while he was simultaneously enrolled at Columbus College of Art & Design to study painting. After plein air studies in Utah, California, and Maine he transitioned to the studio where he paints from observation, imagination and memory. His paintings have been exhibited in museums and galleries across Ohio including the Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, OSU Urban Art Space, OSU Faculty Club, the Georgian Museum, as well as ConnectArt in Matanzas, Cuba, and at the Century Association in New York City. His work is held in public and private collections across the United States, France, Cuba, and the US Virgin Islands. In 2016 he received The Community Arts Partnership Award from the Greater Columbus Arts Council. Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in Columbus, Ohio.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, four cities in Cuba, 2022
select past exhibitions
- 2021, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2021, Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery Columbus,OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, Greater Columbus Arts Council, 2016.