about the artist
Jim Murrin grew up in an artistic family in central Ohio and was engaged with art from an early age.. He studied photography, drawing and design in college then paused to pursue a career in dentistry. He earned DDS and MS degrees from The Ohio State University, served as a dental officer in the USAF and later worked as an endodontist (1982-2020) while he donated hands-on expertise providing root canal treatment for gorillas, bears, and tigers at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. By the mid 1990’s Murrin was enrolled at Columbus College of Art & Design where his focus turned to painting. His mediums include oil and acrylic paint, pencil, water soluble crayon and epoxy. He paints from observation, memory, and imagination. His paintings have been exhibited in museums and galleries across Ohio including the Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, OSU Urban Art Space, OSU Faculty Club, the Georgian Museum, as well as ConnectArt in Matanzas, Cuba, and at the Century Association in New York City. His work is held in public and private collections across the United States, France, Cuba, and the British Virgin Islands. Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in Columbus, Ohio.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, Columbus,OH, July, 2021
- Columbus Museum of Art, Art for Life, October, 2021
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, New York City, November, 2021
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, four cities in Cuba, 2022
select past exhibitions
- 2021, Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, Greater Columbus Arts Council, 2016.