about the artist
Jim Murrin is a painter and Ohio native who studied photography and design in college then pursued a career in dentistry. He earned DDS and MS degrees with honors from The Ohio State University, served as a dental officer in the USAF and later founded a private endodontic practice and volunteered clinical expertise at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium providing root canal treatment for gorillas, bears and tigers. By the mid 1990’s Murrin was enrolled at Columbus College of Art & Design where his focus turned to painting, initially the human figure, then to plein air landscape painting and studio work. He paints from observation, memory, and imagination. His paintings have been exhibited in museums and galleries across Ohio including the Columbus Museum of Art, Springfield Museum of Art, OSU Urban Art Space, OSU Faculty Club, the Georgian Museum, as well as ConnectArt in Matanzas, Cuba, and at the Century Association in New York City. His work is held in public and private collections across the United States, France, Cuba, and the US Virgin Islands. In 2016 he received The Community Arts Partnership Award from the Greater Columbus Arts Council. Jim is represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in Columbus, Ohio.
20 East Lincoln Street
Columbus, OH 43215
exhibits and awards
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, New York City, November, 2021
- Letters from Cuba-Letters from Ohio, four cities in Cuba, 2022
select past exhibitions
- 2021, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2021, Bryn du Art Show, Granville, OH
- 2020, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art
- 2019, Cuba in Columbus, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2019, ConnectArt, Matanzas, Cuba.
- 2018, Art for Life, Columbus Museum of Art, Columbus, OH
- 2018, Ohio Artists of Today, The Mithoff, Lancaster, OH
- 2017, From Here to Havana, Jim Murrin New Paintings, Sharon Weiss Gallery Columbus,OH.
- 2016, The Lancaster and Fairfield County Paintings, Georgian Museum, Lancaster, OH.
- 2015, Sea and Ski and the Road Between, Jim Murrin New Paintings, OSU Faculty Club, Columbus, OH.
- 2015, Going to Town, Cityscapes from the Collection of Remak Ramsay, The Century Association, New York, NY
- 2015, Jim Murrin Recent Works, Sharon Weiss Gallery, Columbus, OH
- 2009, OAL 98th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, OSU Urban Arts Space, Columbus, OH
- 2008, OAL 97th Annual Spring Juried Exhibition, Springfield Museum of Art, Springfield, OH
- 1998, The Operation is Art, Physician Painters, Reed Arts, Columbus, OH
- The Community Arts Partnership Award, Greater Columbus Arts Council, 2016.